Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Bookworm Adventure Deluxe

Bookworm Adventure Deluxe

General Introduction

Briefly told, it is your job to defeat the numerous enemies by spelling words. The tiles do not have to connect in order for you to spell a word. The larger the word that is spelled, the quicker an enemy is defeated. As you defeat the various monsters, you fill up your level bar which means that you(Bookworm) become more powerful. When the health meter of the monster becomes empty, it is defeated. Finding treasures have the effects of improving your lightning power automatically. A map is given to show where the different treasures are located. It is the bookworm's quest to find those treasures.

Sound and Music

Overall, I think that the music adequately suits this game. I did, think, however, that the music could have sounded a bit more suspenseful as each monster was eliminated. In the music department I give it a rating of 6.
As far as the sound effects go, I thought they could have been more realistic. Over all of the other sound effects, I think that the snake's hiss and the bird's scream were by far the best! I would have expected the lion to emit a loud roar, but I was disappointed by the sound that came out of its mouth! In the category of sound effects, I would give the Bookworm Adventure Deluxe a rating of 5.

Game play

The computer game was challenging because it specifically tested your spelling ability. It actually made you think before spelling a word because the larger the word that was spelled, the more damage that was done to the enemy. You could also press the scramble button to re-scramble the letters and perhaps give you a better chance to make a larger word, but you had to forfeit your current turn to use this feature. I would give the gameplay feature a rating of 8.

Graphics

The best graphic in the whole game was the little green bookworm. All of the other graphics paled in comparison. That little green worm mesmerized me! As you looked at the waves and the lightning while on board the ship, they did not seem to be very realisticat all. The octopus had only four arms instead of the traditional eight. Aside from the bookworm, the colors of the other graphics could have been more colorful so that they could have stood out more. However, that may have taken away from the bookworm, so perhaps this was done for a purpose. It seemed like to me that the bookworm was always in the forefront while all of the other graphics were in the foreground. The graphics did not seem to have any depth to them such as 3D would give. As I reviewed the game again, I found that the mountain goat was an excellent graphic and was one of the few 3D graphics. In the graphics area, I would give it a rating of 7.

Fun Factor

I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game. Since I enjoy things that stimulate my mind, I felt that I was actually accomplishing something rather than sitting at my chair like a bump on the log. For a computer newbie like myself, this game had just the right amount of action. I also wanted someone else's opinion so I had my thirteen year old play the game. She loved it! The pace of the game was not timed which I found to be a great plus. It gave me time to think of the words I wanted to spell without having to worry whether I would be penalized or not. I would definitely give this an outstanding rating of 10!

Final conclusion

As a former teacher, I would certainly recommend this game for younger age children to help strengthen their spelling skills. Of course, this game would be suitable for most ages both young and old. I would not, however, recommend this game for children below the third grade level. I would definitely recommend purchasing this game! To try a trial version of this game feel free to download a copy here: http://www.reflexive.com/BookwormAdventuresDeluxe.html

No comments: